Thursday, 22 May 2014

The Sea of Tranquility





Synopsis :

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.


Review

When I read the synopsis, I thought what the story could be. A regular girl, high school blah blah and marked it as TBR . Later after months one of my friends told me to read it, when I asked what is it about she just said read you will know. I was intrigued and started this book. From the first page itself I was hooked when I was reading, I could not put it down when I wasn't reading all I could do was think about Nastya. It was as if I was pulled into her world and was made to watch her pain and suffering in 3D. Not even at any point I felt bored or dragging. Ever chapter, every page had its own importance. The development of the story was synchronized with the characters. Each character had so much hidden inside that we could not even predict how they would behave next. Every character had an important footing in the story. The more story progressed the more each character grew in their own way and the end just took my breadth away.

Characters


Nastya:
Very strong character. Bold, sarcastic, don't take your Shit kind of girl. I could never stop thinking about her. Every second I wanted to know her secret and when I knew, I wished I hadn't.


I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.


She covered herself in so much makeup that the real Nastya was no longer visible to anyone. Then again the question is does real Nastya ever existed ?
Her silence, and her determination to remain silent floored me. I kept thinking what if I choose silence and I knew the answer I would not last a single day.

I feel like I’m waiting here. Waiting for something that hasn’t happened yet. Something that isn’t yet. But that’s all I feel and nothing else. I don’t know if I even exist. And then someone flips a switch and the light is gone, the room is gone, the weightlessness is gone.


Josh :
josh, when I think of him I can do nothing but sigh. He had to grow up before he was meant too. Loss does that to you, his intense nature pulled Nastya in. Even though he did not wanted anyone around him still Nastya got to him and that too big time.


I wonder how much Nastya picks up on. She watches everything that goes on in shop, though she hasn’t touched so much as a nail since the hammer incident. She’s been watching me here at night for the past two weeks. I haven’t been successful in getting her to leave so I’ve given up. Last night I tried being outright rude. I figured if telling her to get the fuck out didn’t do the trick, nothing would, so that’s what I told her. She didn’t get the fuck out, at least not until she felt like it an hour later.


Her presence soothed and irritated him at the same time. He wanted her to stay yet leave him alone. The more she stayed the more it got hard for him to keep himself away from her.

I have to decide if I really do want her gone, because if I tell her to leave this time, I have no doubt that she’ll take my word for it. I should say yes. Hell, yes. I’ve been trying to get rid of you since you showed up, but that’s a lie and we both know it.


Drew :
My favorite character in the book. You must be thinking why do I choose a supporting character as my favorite when Nastya and Josh are so awesome. But, yes, Drew is the one for me. Not because he has looks or his wackiness. Not because he is a man-whore( that is what he is known as), but because of his character. His pretense. His unconditional love for Nastya. Not the love that we see in love triangles but platonic love. His protectiveness.


I never really bought the whole of his image, at least not to assume that it was all of him. But he was the one selling it. I was led to believe that if you look up moral turpitude – or maybe just man-whore‌—‌the definition is Drew Leighton. This is shattering that image.

His loyalty, his friendship, his caring. I felt there should be a second book with main character as drew. He has so much in him that when I think about him, I feel what more is he hiding.

“We were in Little League together. When everybody started dying and everybody else started ignoring me, he didn’t. He just kept coming back and coming back, even when I tried to get rid of him. Eventually I realized he wasn’t going anywhere.”

“Sounds like Drew.”


Story : 

  This story is about pain, suffering, about love and friendship, about second chances and redemption. This story is about family and knowing the real meaning of it, realizing that family does not just can be called to blood relations but it has much deeper meaning and depth to it. This story is about saving that one thing which is important of all; Soul.


Recommendation: To everyone.........

RATING : ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment