REASON TO BREATHE
Synopsis :
A passionate love. A brutal betrayal. Unwavering hope.
In a town where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She's more concerned with feigning perfection, pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises. Emma doesn't want anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is.
When Emma unexpectedly finds love, it challenges her to recognize her own worth - but at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she's desperate to hide.
Review :
I choose this book basically because of its cover , I wanted to know the story behind that girl . This book was a page-turner, when I was reading it , I couldn't put it down. When I wasn't reading it , all I could think about was Emma .
Emma Thompson is the girl everyone wants to be. A perfect grade point average, being scouted by major colleges for her talent in soccer, and contributing in numerous after school projects. But she has a secret. Her father has died awhile back, and her mother abandoned her when she was little. She lives with her aunt and uncle who aren't always the most understanding people. Her aunt, Carol, despises Emma, and keeps her on a very tight leash and doesn't always treat Emma like a normal person.
Her only salvation is her best friend Sara
"What no one understood, besides Sara, was that all I really cared about were the days I counted down until I moved out of my aunt’s and uncle’s house to go to college. So if I had to put up with the whispers behind my back as I received the highest marks in the class, then so be it. They weren’t going to be there to save me if I did anything but succeed, so I didn’t need to get involved in the gossip and typical teenage tripe."
Emma does not want to draw attention to herself believing that by keeping her head down, nobody will notice her, and she can achieve academic success in the process. And she does this because:
She needs a scholarship of her future as it is the only thing that will save her from her current situation.
Her schoolwork is a distraction from her atrocious home life and frequent physical punishment from a family member that should have nurtured her, but instead, chooses to torment her.
"If anyone were to observe this routine, they would think this was the picture perfect America family sitting down to enjoy dinner together.
The picture changes when I crept out of the room. The air became thick with discord with the crushing reminder that I existed, a blemish to their portrait."
But everything changes when she meets Evan ,
He peered down at me in anticipation.
“I get that you’re new, and I must seem intriguing to you. But I assure you, I’m not that interesting. You really don’t need to get to know me. I get good grades. I’m decent at sports, and I keep myself busy. I like my privacy. I like my space, and I like to be left alone. That’s it. You can get to know everyone else in this school who’s dying to know you. I’m not. Sorry.”
He grinned.
the secret she tried so hard to bury , is getting unravel by him. She is getting attached to him but does not want to indulge him in her life .
As time passes and thier love blossoms , Emma finds that she has to make a decision for her like , as living in the house with her aunt was becoming difficult day by day. Will she be able to decide before losing the most important thing she possess...... HER LIFE The end took my breath away ... The scariest cliffhanger I read till now
A passionate love. A brutal betrayal. Unwavering hope.
In a town where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She's more concerned with feigning perfection, pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises. Emma doesn't want anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is.
When Emma unexpectedly finds love, it challenges her to recognize her own worth - but at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she's desperate to hide.
Review :
I choose this book basically because of its cover , I wanted to know the story behind that girl . This book was a page-turner, when I was reading it , I couldn't put it down. When I wasn't reading it , all I could think about was Emma .
Emma Thompson is the girl everyone wants to be. A perfect grade point average, being scouted by major colleges for her talent in soccer, and contributing in numerous after school projects. But she has a secret. Her father has died awhile back, and her mother abandoned her when she was little. She lives with her aunt and uncle who aren't always the most understanding people. Her aunt, Carol, despises Emma, and keeps her on a very tight leash and doesn't always treat Emma like a normal person.
Her only salvation is her best friend Sara
"What no one understood, besides Sara, was that all I really cared about were the days I counted down until I moved out of my aunt’s and uncle’s house to go to college. So if I had to put up with the whispers behind my back as I received the highest marks in the class, then so be it. They weren’t going to be there to save me if I did anything but succeed, so I didn’t need to get involved in the gossip and typical teenage tripe."
Emma does not want to draw attention to herself believing that by keeping her head down, nobody will notice her, and she can achieve academic success in the process. And she does this because:
She needs a scholarship of her future as it is the only thing that will save her from her current situation.
Her schoolwork is a distraction from her atrocious home life and frequent physical punishment from a family member that should have nurtured her, but instead, chooses to torment her.
"If anyone were to observe this routine, they would think this was the picture perfect America family sitting down to enjoy dinner together.
The picture changes when I crept out of the room. The air became thick with discord with the crushing reminder that I existed, a blemish to their portrait."
But everything changes when she meets Evan ,
He peered down at me in anticipation.
“I get that you’re new, and I must seem intriguing to you. But I assure you, I’m not that interesting. You really don’t need to get to know me. I get good grades. I’m decent at sports, and I keep myself busy. I like my privacy. I like my space, and I like to be left alone. That’s it. You can get to know everyone else in this school who’s dying to know you. I’m not. Sorry.”
He grinned.
the secret she tried so hard to bury , is getting unravel by him. She is getting attached to him but does not want to indulge him in her life .
As time passes and thier love blossoms , Emma finds that she has to make a decision for her like , as living in the house with her aunt was becoming difficult day by day. Will she be able to decide before losing the most important thing she possess...... HER LIFE The end took my breath away ... The scariest cliffhanger I read till now
Rating :★★★★★

No comments:
Post a Comment